Gonzaga (5-3-0, 0-0-0 WCC) at No.14 San Diego State (5-0-2, 2-0-0 Pac-12)
Friday September 24 | 7 p.m. PT | SDSU Sport Bridge | San diego, california
Youth club football night
– The Aztecs started the Pac-12 game with a pair of home shutouts last week, beating Cal 2-0 on Thursday, then beating No.23 Stanford 1-0 in the 102nd minute on a golden goal from the senior Tevenn Roux.
– SDSU rose to # 14 (instead of # 21) in the United Soccer Coaches poll, their highest ranking since being # 13 on October 4, 2016. The Aztecs are ranked # 2 in the Far West region, behind only No. 3 Washington (6-0-0).
– SDSU is one of 14 remaining undefeated teams in the country and one of only three on the West Coast (UW and LMU).
– For the first time in the program’s 53-year history, the Aztecs have recorded six shutouts and allowed just one goal in the first seven games of the season.
– SDSU are undefeated in their opening seven games for the first time since 2005.
– The Aztecs are 5-0-0 at home so far this season, the first time they have won their first five home games since 1991.
– SDSU did not drag all season, lasting 682 minutes.
– The Aztecs and the Guardian Jacob Castro leads the country in shutouts (6), team goals against average (0.132), shutout percentage (0.857) and save percentage (0.963). Former Aztec All-American goaltender Tally Hall’s single-season shutout record is 12.0 and a goals-against average of 0.49.
– Castro recently received the Pac-12 Player of the Week award and was named to Top Drawer Soccer and College Soccer News National Team of the Week.
– The Aztecs’ 1-0 victory over No. 23 at Stanford was their first against the Cardinal since 2011.
– The Aztecs, who are 5-0-0 at home so far, are five straight away at home. After Friday’s game, they’ll be on the road for six straight games, not returning to the Sports Deck until Nov. 4 against Oregon State.
– The n ° 14 SDSU (5-0-2) and n ° 3 Washington (6-0-0) are the only programs classified Pac-12.
– At 20-6-4 (0.733), Pac-12 Men’s Soccer is currently the only NCAA Division I league with a non-conference winning percentage above 0.700.
– The Aztecs have only been down at halftime in three of their 17 appearances under the second-year head coach Ryan hopkins.
Last two matches scores
– The Aztecs’ 1-0 double overtime win over No.23 Stanford was their first against the Cardinal since 2011.
– SDSU improved to 5-0-0 at home, the first time they have won their first five home games since 1991.
– SDSU have only managed more shots than their opponents in two matches, but they are undefeated and have six shutouts.
– Stanford had eight corners against three for SDSU, the first time the Aztecs have been passed this season.
– SDSU’s fourth-minute goal against Cal was only their second goal of the year in the first half. The Aztecs outscored their opponents 2-0 in the first half and 5-1 in the second.
– Tevenn Roux got his first start of the year against the Stanford number 23, then scored the game-winning goal. He started the match alongside his younger brother Donovan and their parents were in attendance.
Coach Hopkins’ take on Gonzaga
“Gonzaga is a team that is definitely in good shape and playing with a lot of conviction right now. They are a very technical team that want to play and own the ball. It will take the best versions of ourselves to get the result and keep it. our momentum. “
Opponent’s Notebook (Gonzaga)
Gonzaga is 5-3-0 for the year and comes off a 1-0 victory over Denver which collects votes in the national polls… The Zags have won five of their last six games after starting Season 0 -2-0… The Bulldogs won both of their road games, winning at UC Davis 1-0, which the Aztecs also defeated 1-0, and winning 1-0 at Sacramento State… The Zags and goaltender Johan Garibay have four shutouts, tied for fifth in the country… Demitrius Kigeya leads the team in points (8), shots (15) and shots on goal (10)… Logan Dorsey is tied for the team lead with three goals… They outscored their opponents 11-8 but were outplayed 115-85… First year head coach Aaron Lewis had been an assistant for the Bulldogs since 2019 and was previously the head coach of Corban University … The Aztecs are 1-4-0 against Gonzaga all-time. The Bulldogs have won the last four meetings but the programs haven’t met since 2002.
Season overview notes
– The Aztecs return eight starters from a season ago, including their three Pac-12 winners (André Ochoa, Blake bowen and Iñigo Villaldea).
– SDSU reports 82 percent of their score and 87 percent of their points from last year.
– SDSU has nine newcomers (seven freshmen and two transfers). The Aztecs added three defenders, three midfielders, two forwards and a goalie. Four of the incoming Aztecs are international recruits, hailing from Australia, Denmark, the Netherlands and Slovenia. Rik regeling (Netherlands) has been listed by Top Drawer Soccer as one of their ten ‘international players to watch’.
– The Aztecs have 16 underclassmen and only four seniors.
– After playing an exclusive Pac-12 program last year, SDSU will play seven non-conference games this season, all against schools in the Big West or the WCC.
– SDSU only has two games outside of California (in Washington and Oregon State).