(RV) San Diego State (1-0-1) at Cal Poly (1-1-0)
Friday September 3 | 7 p.m. PT | Alex G. Spanos Stadium | San Luis Obispo, California
Media Coverage: Cal Poly Live Stream | Live statistics
– The Aztecs tied No.17 LMU on the road 0-0 on Monday night.
– This was the first time SDSU has won a result against a ranked road team since November 6, 2016, when they won in the 10th Washington 1-0.
– SDSU garnered more votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll, dropping from three to 28 points, ranking them No.31 in the country and No.3 in the Far West region.
– The Aztecs shut out their first two opponents, the first time they have posted clean sheets in their first two games of a season since 2005.
– SDSU is one of three Pac-12 teams, joining Washington and Oregon State, to go undefeated in the first two matches.
– The back line of the SDSU has been anchored by defenders Kyle Colonna, Elias Katsaros and freshmen Tadej PirtovÅ¡ek, who played the 200 minutes for the Aztecs.
– Goalkeeper Jacob Castro, an enemy transfer from Pac-12 to Washington, recorded shutouts in his first two games as an Aztec.
– In two games, rookie Alex HjÃ¦lmof (Rungstead, Denmark) leads the team with three points after scoring the game-winning goal and distributing an assist in SDSU’s victory over CSUN.
– The Aztecs have seven shots on goal, and they all came from different players.
– The Aztecs have only been led at halftime in three of their 12 games under the second-year head coach Ryan hopkins.
– In Coach Hopkins’ 12 appearances as head coach, seven faced ranked opponents.
– The Aztecs return eight starters from a season ago, including their three Pac-12 winners (AndrÃ© Ochoa, Blake bowen and IÃ±igo Villaldea).
– SDSU reports 82 percent of their score and 87 percent of their points from last year.
– SDSU has nine newcomers (seven freshmen and two transfers). The Aztecs added three defenders, three midfielders, two forwards and a goalie. Four of the incoming Aztecs are international recruits, hailing from Australia, Denmark, the Netherlands and Slovenia. Rik regeling (Netherlands) has been listed by Top Drawer Soccer as one of their ten ‘international players to watch’.
– The Aztecs have 16 underclassmen and only four seniors.
– After playing an exclusive Pac-12 schedule last year, SDSU will play seven non-conference games this season, all against schools in the Big West or the WCC.
– SDSU only has two games outside of California (in Washington and Oregon State).
LMU Match Notes (T, 0-0, Aug 30)
– This was the first time SDSU has won a road result against a ranked team since November 6, 2016, when they beat No.10 Washington 1-0.
– This is the first time the Aztecs have won back-to-back shutouts since November 3 (Cal, 1-0) and November 8 (Omaha, 0-0) of 2019.
– New arrivals So Nishikawa and Henry Smith-Hastie made their first career debut as an Aztec. Smith-Hastie played 103 minutes.
– Rik regeling made his first appearance for SDSU, replacing in the overtime game.
– SDSU started seven underclassmen (four freshmen and three sophomores).
– The Aztecs limited the LMU to two corners.
Coach Hopkins’ take on Cal Poly
âCal Poly is bursting with confidence after a huge road win over St Mary’s. They have certain components of their playstyle that you don’t see every day, so this should make for an interesting contest. I always tell our guys: âIt’s about us versus us,â and how good we can be that day. It’s another big game in our maturing process. “
Opponent’s Notepad (Cal Poly)
Cal Poly is 1-0-1 and comes off a 2-1 road victory at Saint Mary’s, which receives votesâ¦ They lost to Santa Clara 1-0 in their opener of the seasonâ¦ Friday is their home openerâ¦ They played two preseason friendlies, losing to UCLA 1-0 then beating Fresno Pacific 4-1â¦ The Mustangs were chosen to finish eighth in the Big West pre-season and clinched first placeâ¦ Both CP goals came from Jacob Glass and Conner Leberâ¦ Goalie Carlos Arce-Hurtado played every minute and had nine savesâ¦ Cal Poly, as well as all schools in Big West, did not participate in the 2020 season due to concerns surrounding COVID-19â¦ Head coach Steve Sampson is in his seventh year as head coach of Cal Polyâ¦ He has already coached the LA Galaxy and the United States Men’s National Teamâ¦ The Aztecs are 6-5-3 all-time against Cal Polyâ¦ They last met in 2017, a 1-0 loss at homeâ¦ SDSU failed I haven’t beaten Cal Poly since 1995.